Tuesday, August 28, 2018

USC Phone Call

I just had a nice conversation with Dr. In from the Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center at USC.  We discussed my current situation and some possible treatments.  We talked about the IMO-2125 in combination with the Ipi. 

This treatment intrigues me because it is for patients whose disease does not respond to a PD-1 drug.  I took Pembro, which is a PD-1 drug, for 6 months and the disease did not respond to it.  This clinical trial is in Phase 3 out of 4 prior to FDA approval which means it is a little further along than others.  It has also been granted the Fast-Track designation by the USDA which means that this drug has demonstrated the potential to address an unmet medical need.  The results of this drug showed that 6 out of 9 patients experienced disease control of greater than 12 weeks.  If you are interested, you can read the phase 3 press release here

The downside to this treatment is that it would be at USC.  A 12 hour drive or a 2 hour plane ride.  I was mostly worried about the cost but Dr. In assured me that there were resources available to make it happen.  We are meeting with Dr. Voorhies at Huntsman on Thursday afternoon and will be discussing this and other options. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a boat load of information. Our prayers recently have been two fold. First for you to continue to have health so the right therapy can be found and second that the doctors would be guided to find solutions to destroy this cancer.

    I can't be a part of finding and implementing a therapy, so I naturally gravitate to the spiritual side.

    My scripture reading has had me stuck in Moroni 7 for the last couple of weeks. First because some of the passages describe a father son relationship. Second, because Mormon testifies that strong faith and hope are necessary for charity and miracles. We live in a day of miracles. We have faith and hope!

    Your post today describes a miracle therapy that was not available a year ago. We can't take those advancements in medical treatments lightly. They are miracles.

    In your first post you suggested that you don't want to talk about the cancer because emotions are on the surface. We (family) all have had similar emotional breakdowns. Your sisters have been especially emotional. I have cried with them on the phone when your immediate health was unclear.

    This blog is a wonderful way to communicate about your cancer and reserve the time we are together to be happy and enjoy each others company.

    You are not alone in this fight. Never, Never, Never Give up!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "Dad"'s comments. I happened to run across a scripture shortly after my brain surgery & paralysis that I absolutely love. It's D&C 121:7-8. 7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

    8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.

    You have an amazing support system and miracles happen. I love your slogan, "#fightlikehell". You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete