Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Labor Day Weekend/Hope Box Theater

We had a great weekend.  I appreciate all who participated and prayed on Sunday.  Those prayers were felt and are needed for me and my family.  We spent the weekend up at East Canyon Resort (came home on Sunday for our services).  Combination of pickleball, swimming, dodge ball, rubber duck races, water balloon tosses etc.  The kids had a blast and really enjoyed the time up there. 

We are still waiting to hear back from USC.  They have received all the images and are going through them now.  Hopefully we will know what is happening in the next day or so with that clinical trial.

I had an old friend come over who is on the board of directors for the Hope Box Theater.  This is a local nonprofit organization whose mission is to bring hope to families battling cancer through performing arts.  The theater chooses one person and their family that is battling cancer and focuses all their good energy and vibes towards that family for the show.  On closing night they invite that person and family to join them and put them on their wall of hope.  He suggested we put my name into the hat for their upcoming show The Scarlet Pimpernel.  Obviously I struggle with this because I am not looking for attention, recognition, gifts, money or whatever you want to call it.  I don't like to be in the spotlight either.  But I think part of the reason I am going through this trial is to learn how to serve people better through allowing others to serve my family.  I have learned and will continue to learn a great deal about service through this experience.  For me allowing people to do things for us is a struggle because I pride myself in being able to take care of things on my own.  I guess it is a humility thing that I struggle to grasp and allow to happen.  As I try to allow others to help me and my family I feel like I can learn how to better serve others as well, so that in the future I might be able to affect someones life for the good.  Whether I get selected or not doesn't matter to me, it is the great thought of a good friend to think of me.  That means the world to our family.  Also, if you haven't seen them I think you should check them out.  Obviously they are working for a great cause and their shows are fantastic.  You can watch what this entails here.  Many people ask what they can do to help.  In my mind supporting nonprofit organizations like Hope Box is supporting the things we are fighting.  There are many of them out there just pick one and do what you like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment